Field Climbing Engineer
FPG are recruiting to support one of the UK’s leading operators with a project for Field Engineers / Field Technicians with experience installing, diagnosing and fixing Customer Premises Equipment such as Cisco, Juniper, ADVA and/or mobile technology such as 3G/4G/5G equipment. The successful candidate must be happy to travel to customer sites for installs and ideally have some experience with telecom operators, vendors or Internet Service Providers.
Candidates based across the UK are welcome to apply and to be allocated a region to cover – London / Midlands / Manchester / Cardiff / Bristol – Reading.
Only candidates based in the UK can be considered due to the locations and travel required.
Overall Role Purpose
• You will play an integral part of the client’s Field Engineering team, performing installation and maintenance activities in support of the fixed and mobile networks as well as operator’s business solutions.
• Adherence to quality and H&S standards as well as achieving agreed performance targets is essential to this role
• The role holder must have a flexible approach to working hours and be willing to travel if required to meet the demands of the business
• The candidate will be expected to participate in a 24/7 callout rota and / or shift pattern as and when required in alignment with the requirements of the Operating Unit you are assigned to
• Rooftop based working is essential and the role holder will be expected to undertake regular health assessments to ensure that all aspects of the role may be carried out safely
• Install, commission and maintain the operator’s network, products and services to agreed operator’s standards and service levels without compromising safe working practices
• Follow our HSE Absolute Rules, without exception
• Communicate with internal and external customers in a professional and timely manner
• Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and challenge existing processes and procedures in order to deliver operational excellence for our customers
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS AND INTERFACES
Key interfaces are:
• All areas of the Field Delivery team
• Engineering Dispatch teams (onshore / offshore)
• Network Operations Centres (“NOCs”)
• Customer / Network Project Management teams
• Equipment Vendors Technical Support Teams
• Partners and Suppliers
• Business customers
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Skills and Experience)
• Formal telecoms/electronic qualification or equivalent experience gained through previous roles.
• Provision of service, fault diagnosis and rectification of relevant telecoms technologies.
o Multi-vendor CPE including Cisco, Juniper and ADVA
o Core transmission technologies including DWDM and Ethernet
o Mobile networking technologies 3G/4G/5G and associated equipment
o Microwave Radio
o Switch and Field DC power systems
o Fibre and copper cabling and termination
• Ability to work both in a team and on your own efficiently and effectively
• Ability to work in a focused manner under pressure to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to manage own workload to best meet the demands of the business
• Adaptability and the ability to learn new skills quickly
• PC skills (IT Literacy)
• Valid / full UK / EU driving license (Category B)
• Excellent customer-facing skills
• Ability to achieve and maintain SC clearance status
• Ability to achieve and maintain Advanced Climber / Tower Rescue Certification and passing regular health assessments in accordance with MATS guidance.
• HND or Degree in an appropriate technical subject or relevant industry experience
• IP & Data accreditations – e.g. Cisco CCNA / CCNP
• Wireless Network design and deployment
• LAN/WIFI and peripheral equipment’s
• Unified communications solutions
• Advanced Climber / Tower Rescue Certification