IP Transmission Architect
FPG are recruiting on behalf of our client, a leading global telecommunications company based in numerous countries all over the world. They are looking for an IP Transmission Fixed Access Architect, to drive the IP technology aspects of Broadband Fixed Access networks and their evolution to programmatic control, virtualisation and open networking.
This will include technology/network architecture, solutions, roadmaps, standards and technology innovation.
They wish to hire a dedicated, ambitious and hard-working Fixed Access expert professional to contribute to their world-leading technology strategy, innovation proof of concept developments/tests and performance evaluation aspects as required.
This is a permanent role based in the UK in either London or Berkshire.
IP Transmission Architect responsibilities
- To be a trusted expert for Broadband Network Gateway (BNG) technology and associated IP network architecture spanning equipment functionality, performance and the associated roadmap towards virtualisation and disaggregated architectures.
- Provide technical leadership and drive projects (including Proof of Concept evaluations) covering the IP Services aspects of Broadband Fixed Access networks. Includes generating architecture blueprints, standards, technical requirements and managing lab proof of concept tests and trials with internal engineering teams and Local Markets; verifying feasibility and benefits of new capabilities, technologies, products or vendors in advance of deployment.
- To provide technical leadership on RFQ, RFI, vendor benchmarking evaluation and interoperability test activities.
- To work with vendors and key stakeholders across the business. This includes best practice sharing activities, driving the product roadmaps and innovation direction of key strategic and challenger vendors to support the business needs. Act as official company vendor roadmap authority and source.
Key experience, skills and competencies required to be considered as a candidate for this role.
- Extensive experience in Broadband Fixed Access, prior fixed-line operator or vendor experience, with strong technical and operational detail level, proven track record.
- Broadband Fixed Access network standard architectures and the associated IP network aspects (spanning fibre, cable and DSL access technologies). Delivery of consumer broadband, video, voice and enterprise services using these technologies
- Ability to establish influential, trust-based relationships across Engineering design/test/delivery teams, Local Markets, internal procurement, and Fixed Access vendor base.
- Management of suppliers including RFI/RFQ process, benchmarking, cost modelling and comparative analysis.
- Passionate advocate of how technology fits within the wider business and how IP networking and virtualisation technology can be used to gain an advantage for the business and the role it can play in the delivery of a great customer service experience. – Confident at presenting this to technical audiences and senior stakeholders.
Further technical skills required
- Extensive knowledge of IP and Ethernet networking in a broadband context including BNG, hierarchical scheduling QoS, IPv6, and Fixed Mobile Convergence (inc. policy/PCRF & Hybrid Access). Knowledge of DPI, DNS, RADIUS, Lawful intercept and MPLS technologies would also be useful.
- Understanding of open source software development approaches.
- Practical expertise with collaboration tools (Confluence, JIRA, SLACK ?)
- Practical expertise in Virtualisation technologies as well as an understanding of software-defined networking, disaggregation and the principles of Control-User Plane Separation (CUPS).
- Familiarity with key standards bodies relevant to Broadband Access.
- Familiarity with product lifecycle management (e.g. EoL, EoS, ?)
- Familiarity with software development frameworks, scripting and solution testing.
Must have technical / professional qualifications:
- Proven experience within a Fixed Access Operator.
- >3 years’ experience in Broadband Fixed Access network engineering.
For more information, to apply, or to recommend a friend, please contact me at email@example.com with your CV and contact number or follow the links provided. Thanks!