Are you a Transport Manager that is looking for a change or want to take the next step in your career ladder?
My client is looking to hire an Associate Director of Transport Engineering to help develop and lead their team.
This is a full time remote based role which will need 25% travel to my clients office in Colorado.
They offer a competitive salary and benefits package and also cover your travel costs.
Associate Director Job Description:
- Looking for very good leadership/management skills
- A candidate that can manage and lead remote teams effectively
- Fiber ISP background with the big broadband Operators (Charter, Comcast, Charter etc)
- Experience with fiber backhaul network, in particular when it comes to Core Network
- Good with carrier relations and has an understanding of the circuit ordering process
- Good knowledge of Microwave Radio systems
- *Engineering background in Transport provisioning / design
- Posses an understanding of Wireless RAN architecture
- Good understanding of budgeting and keeping projects on track
- Self Driven candidate that has the ability to adapt to changes
General Purpose and Scope of Associate Director role:
- The Associate Director of Transport Engineering plays a key senior management role in our clients Data Network
- Engineering and Operations organization.
- The experienced Associate Director of Transport Engineering will possess strong leadership attributes and experience with building and executing broadband transport initiatives for networks comprised of built fiber, microwave links, and procured
- Layer 2 and Layer 3 data services.
- The Associate Director will manage a team of Transport Engineers and Analysts that manage transport needs in (primarily) CO, NM, AZ, NV, and UT. The successful candidate will possess an organized, collaborative, and structured approach to managing people, project ambiguity, complexity, and interdependencies across systems/teams.
- The candidate must thrive, and be able to deliver, in a fast-paced/high volume environment supporting aggressive targets.
- In addition, the ideal candidate will possess a dynamic personality and the ability to quickly establish trust and rapport with all levels of the organization. The candidate must be motivated to contribute to an evolving and growing network delivering high-quality broadband communications services to Tribal Communities & Rural America, driving digital inclusion and providing access to great education, work, healthcare, safety, entertainment, and community connectivity.
Duties and Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Works closely with engineering and operations leadership in developing business cases to justify fiber network builds vs procurement of lit services from other providers
- Responsible oversight for design, implementation, and inventorying of microwave, ethernet and fiber circuits to edge network sites
- Work hand-in-hand with Data Engineering, Fiber Engineering, and Data Switch Operations network teams to ensure Transport links are properly integrated into transport and fiber nodes, cell site routers, and microwave radio devices across multi-vendor platforms
- Recommend network improvements to the Data Engineering, Data Operations, NOC, and local RF teams
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational standards
- Responsible for hiring, developing, and managing a team of transport design and implementation engineers, primarily in a remote workforce.
- Plans and coordinates the work of the transport engineering team.
- Oversees transport engineering staff and ensures that they meet goals and objectives, providing frequent feedback and mentorship when needed.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, project management, business development, construction/site development teams, etc. for cohesive solutions and hand-off.
- Creates solutions to support Regional and Market teams in managing day-to-day transport issues.
- Ensures CAPEX/OPEX budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements
- Actively seeks new ways to reduce transport and call delivery associated OPEX
- Participates in corporate development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and staff
- Establishes and promotes new techniques, processes, and tools for effective forecasting, capacity planning, and system optimization
- Oversees circuit ordering, inventorying, and management functions, including OSS/platform management
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the wireless and fiber transport landscape.
Required Qualifications for Associate Director role:
- 7+ years engineering/technical experience
- 5+ years of experience leading and building high performing teams of engineers and various contributors, within telecom
- BS in Engineering or related technical degree; or equivalent combination of telecom experience and education
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate and interact at the highest levels of the organization in a succinct and meaningful way
- Working knowledge of microwave/fiber backhaul and backbone transmission networks and their topology
- Understanding of CDMA/GSM/LTE principles and IP networking
- Solid understanding of laws governing wireless transport rates/tariffs
- Working knowledge of circuit inventory, capacity management, and utilization based on industry (Telecom) best practices
- Experience managing vendor and service provider relationships
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead large and/or complex projects
- Experience with cost/benefit analysis, budgeting, sensitivity analysis
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead geographically dispersed teams
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Familiarity with OSS/BSS circuit design and inventorying system platforms is a plus
- Travel, less than 25% of the time.
- 3+ years as a transport network/MW engineer
- Prior experience working for a telecom/transport network services provider
- Prior OSS (i.e., Metasolv, BGW) management experience for circuit inventory, and network planning and capacity management
- Prior experience with DS1/DS3/Ethernet/GIGE/Wave/FTTx/GPON/XGSPON transport circuits and designs
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple communications service providers to procure access and middle-mile services for regional transport networks