HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED WHAT YOU WOULD DO IF YOU RECEIVED A COUNTER OFFER?
It’s a great feeling when you’ve landed a new role. When you’re happy with your new job offer and you have accepted, there can be another obstacle in the way: counter offers. It’s becoming increasingly common for employers to make counter offers. Here are a few ways to come to your decision on whether to stay or to go…
THINK OF 5 REASONS WHY YOU ARE LEAVING YOUR CURRENT JOB.
Some common reasons include:
- You’re seeking a salary increase/ better benefits
- There is no future prospect at your current job
- You’re ambitious for a more challenging role
- You want a change in your day to day activities
- You want to learn and develop your skills further
- There is conflict/ negativity between colleagues
- You’re looking to relocate
THINK OF 5 THINGS THAT ATTRACT YOU TO THE NEW COMPANY OVER YOUR CURRENT ONE.
Common positives include:
- Learning and development opportunities
- More responsibility within the role
- A reputable company within the industry
- A higher basic salary and/or additional benefits
- The role is in a desired location
In a counter offer situation it is important to weigh up your options. By highlighting the main ‘selling’ points in new role, this will put the counter offer into perspective against what you could be going to.
THINK ABOUT SOME OF THE REASONS YOU MAY RECEIVE A COUNTER OFFER.
Common reasons include:
- Your employer has no time replace you
- It is more cost effective than replacing you
- Losing an employee might reflect badly
- Your departure could result in unwanted disruption
Many resources suggest that on average 3 out of 4 counter offer acceptances result in a candidate staying at their company for no longer than 6 months.
ARE THESE COUNTER OFFER REASONS MORE BENEFICIAL FOR YOU, OR FOR THE COMPANY?
If you do receive a counter offer, does it really outweigh all of the reasons that made you want to leave? If you do decide to accept, make sure it will be a short and long-term gain for your career.
We can’t make your mind up for you, only you can. But if you would like to get some more information and advice on counter offers, get in touch with FPG today.